Thursday, April 23, 2009

What path is God pointing you to?

After telling my friends that my work e-mail will not work after tomorrow, one of them replied with the question, "What path is God pointing you to?"

I appreciate the people who have offered me their support and prayers in the last couple of days. What is hard for me to accept are the people who I refer to as the 'Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm' people - the ones who say "God has a plan for you for something even better;" or "in a year you will look back and realize that you're in a better situation."

Well... I'm not doubting my faith, but I don't think that God allows us to hurt so that we can have a better situation here on earth. God doesn't allow a drunk driver to kill a child and have its parents suffer so that they can have another child (or whatever). God allows us to suffer because he gave us free will. He doesn't want someone to treat people poorly or have a problem with their ego/pride, but God allows it to happen.

Unfortunately, sometimes things happen that don't have a fairy tale ending. However, I do think that how I respond to the hurt may have its reward by shaving time off of my stay in Purgatory if I'm lucky enough to get there. That is why I'm trying to act like a mature adult and turn over the stuff I've been working on.

1 comment:

Becki said...

Mary, I apologize if I have been one of the "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms" kind of people. I know, in the aftermath of Dave's layoff, the only thing that kept me going was knowing this was part of God's plan. For me, it wasn't that I thought God wanted us to suffer or be in pain or fear. Somehow, somewhere, I know the experience we went through will have prepared us to better deal with another situation. That isn't the same for all people, though, and if I have pushed that philosophy on you, I am so very sorry.

You remain in our thoughts and prayers.