Monday, April 6, 2009

Reconciliation - What an Awesome Sacrament!

Boy do I hate going to confession.

I can remember years (& years & years) ago arguing with my dad about how I could tell God that I was sorry and didn't need "some priest" to tell me that God forgave me. During my 23 years as a Lutheran, I would've agreed that the brief penitential rite during the Sunday service was sufficient. (One thing that annoyed me, though was that instead of saying "May almighty God have mercy on US, forgive US OUR sins, and bring US to everlasting life," the minister says, "May almighty God have mercy on YOU, forgive YOU YOUR sins, and bring YOU to everlasting life." Doesn't the minister ever need absolution.")

Now that I've been back in full communion with the Catholic Church for almost 8 years, I am so very grateful for this sacrament. Yes, I still hate having to tell my failings out loud; however, as a dear priest told me six or seven years ago, the very act of humbling myself by admitting them is one of the major benefits.

I highly doubt that when someone is privately telling God that they are sorry, that God tells them that they really need to make reparation to the people whom they've hurt. Of course, any reasonable person will know that if they stole from someone, they need to repay it. But what about the person we slighted at work or something similar? Having the priest come flat out and say, "You need to go to Jane Doe and ask for their forgiveness," is again very humbling but oh, so cleansing.

It is also wonderful to develop a relationship with one confessor who knows the things I struggle with, and to know that what he really wants is for me to grow stronger in my faith.

Thank you, Father!

2 comments:

Becki said...

I agree, it is such a cleansing experience, especially with the right confessor. Did you go to Minneota for Father Jeremy's communal service tonight?

Sweet Mary Beth said...

Yes I did go to Minneota. Sometimes I dislike the individual confession part of those services, but Fr. Jeremy doesn't treat the penitent like parts on an assembly line.