Friday, April 3, 2009

Back to the blog-o-sphere

Last night was our diocesan Chrism mass. A group of eight of us traveled 1-1/2 hours to attend at a relatively new church on one of Minnesota's 10,000 lakes. What a beautiful setting. I loved the gathering space and the classrooms in the church building. The sanctuary itself was very nice, but I guess I lean toward older churches with a bit of historical elegance. It seemed like we were pouring old wine (the centuries-old tradition of having the bishop bless the oils) into a new wineskin (the church building). (I know that the actual gospel reading talks about pouring new wine into old wineskins, but that didn't fit!)

On the way home, we were discussing where past several Chrism masses were held. As you get older, they all seem to run together. It was interesting, though, how we figured out each location... "2003 was in Redwood Falls. I drove because we had just gotten a new Honda and it was a 2003." "Remember when you, Kelly, and I ate at Arby's before Mass? Was that in Hutchinson or Willmar? Must've been Hutch because I remember Fr. Bill..."

I wonder how many Catholics take advantage of attending the Chrism mass. . . Those who don't, don't know what they're missing! Especially those who live in metropolitan dioceses where they only have to travel 20 or 30 minutes to get to the Cathedral.

Anyway... a group of us met for dinner beforehand and we were talking about blogging. They commented that I should really get my rear in gear and update mine more than every four or five months!

1 comment:

Becki said...

And now you have! Dave and I talked about the different feeling we had leaving the Chrism Mass. Your comparison to wine and wineskins might be the description I couldn't put my finger on last night.

We have only been to the last three, so New Ulm, New Ulm and Spicer. I don't know why more people don't choose to attend, though. It is wonderful!